Login |  Register |  FAQ

2nd edition rules question - Broken troops

Post subject: 2nd edition rules question - Broken troops
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi guys,

Can anyone please help with the following:

Do units only have to take only 1 morale check ever or each time a situation occurs as listed on page 27 of the rulebook (there seem to be 4).

It says that broken troops must also take a morale check at the start of close combat segment if they are engaged in close combat:

Is this in addition to the morale test they would have presumably already taken?

It says that you cannot leave close combat - I take it this means that even if units fail their
morale test then they have to continue to fight and cannot fall back Or can they choose to fallback?

Thanks for any help.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 2nd edition rules question - Broken troops
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sorry, should have said - surely the moral test for close combat would be the second morale test so if they fail, would they not just be removed?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

binarybob wrote:
It says that broken troops must also take a morale check at the start of close combat segment if they are engaged in close combat:

Is this in addition to the morale test they would have presumably already taken?

Yes, so if a unit is broken, but passes its morale check as a result of having been broken, it still has to take another check if it is engaged in close combat. This is why broken units are so very vulnerable in second edition Epic in a close combat situation, except units with a morale value of one of course ;).

Quote:
It says that you cannot leave close combat - I take it this means that even if units fail their
morale test then they have to continue to fight and cannot fall back Or can they choose to fallback?

Thanks for any help.

It is not possible to voluntarily fall back in second edition Epic, so if the unit passes its morale check, it fights on, if not the rules for failing a second morale check are applied.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for your help on this and the other question!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You're welcome :). Second edition Epic is my favourite GW game of all time, so I'm glad that others are still playing it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Can I just confirm here that it's only broken troops who are on fallback orders who are routed if they have to take a second morale test and fail it or is it just broken troops in general who when they take a morale check and fail it route.

Thanks,

Rob.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I know that I've responded to your PM about this, but for the benefit of others, or in case my memory is wrong, I'll also respond here in summarised form. Broken troops who fail their morale check and are not already on fall back orders will not rout, rather they wlill just fall back. Troops on fall back orders will rout without taking a second morale check if they are engaged in close combat (typically this will occur if troops failling back are charged and engaged in close combat).