Login |  Register |  FAQ

Review: Pulp Alley

Post subject: Review: Pulp Alley
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Review: Pulp Alley

Pulp Alley is a skirmish game designed to recreate the adventure of serials and cheap paperbacks. This is commonly referred to as Pulp Gamin, and often takes place in the inter-war years between WWI and WWII. In addition, Pulp Gaming often takes place in exotic locales, have two-fisted men-of-action, villainous scientists, gangsters, and femme fatales. It is the stuff of Sam Spade, Indiana Jones, Sky Captain, and Doc Savage. With that you have an idea of what the game is trying to recreate.

I was first exposed to Pulp Alley after playing some games of Super System 4thEdition. I briefly toyed with the idea of picking up Chaos in Carpathia or Chaos in Cairo. While researching these two titles I stumbled across the Pulp Alley game. I heard people mention some interesting mechanics in the game system, and I became very interested in learning more. I especially heard a great deal of positive buzz around the Initiative system, and that is a key element of any game for me. It seemed like it had some of the mechanics that I enjoyed.

Each player creates a League of characters for the game. These can have some generic archetypes that give League wide bonus, and then there are a few character types of different skill levels. Each League is typically run by a Hero. The Hero then has a collection of followers and sidekicks. Think of Indiana Jones, Short Round, Professor Brody, and Henry Jones all working together as a League.

This sounds like fun to me, so let’s dig in and see it if delivers.

http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2017/04/review-pulp-alley-pulp-alley-publishing.html

Profile Send private message