Login |  Register |  FAQ

Review- Tomorrow's War/Force-on-Force- Osprey/Ambush Alley

Post subject: Review- Tomorrow's War/Force-on-Force- Osprey/Ambush Alley
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have a new review up for the day!

When Osprey was first entering into the game publishing business, they didn’t try to do it alone. Instead, they struck a deal with Ambush Alley games to publish some of their core rulebooks. The details are inconsequential and since I believe the two have parted ways. What is of note is that a series of rulebooks for Modern warfare and a rulebook for Sci-fi were released. Both were hardback books and Force-on-Force even got a series of campaign specific soft-back books as supplements.

For me personally, these were incredibly important works. I had been starting to move around beyond the usual players in the wargaming world and was looking for something different. I found these two works and immediately realized I had found that something. Around the same time I also found Stargrunt and Dirtside II as well. As you can imagine, finding all of these new realms of sci-fi possibility was very eye-opening to me.

On reflection, I see these games as having a shared philosophy or lineage in design; a lineage that tried to extrapolate the challenges of Modern/post-Korean War to the tabletop. I can’t speak to how accurate they are in that task. They all force you to take a different approach to how you play a game than other popular game approaches.

Tomorrow’s War and Force-on-Force use the same base rules to accomplish their core game play. Therefore, I am combining them into a single review. As needed I will call out differentiation when needed. I have read some people complain about the opacity of these rulesets but I find the way they are built stacks nicely together as you slowly layer on capabilities as you go. Since I mostly use them for Infantry on Infantry actions I had no real issues using them.

More at me ole' blog....

http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2017/03/review-tomorrows-warforce-on-force.html

I have also set up a sample game using old Micro Machines Stormtroopers vs. Rebels using Tomorrow's War. I will have that in the next few weeks.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Review- Tomorrow's War/Force-on-Force- Osprey/Ambush All
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for all these reviews - really interesting reads. Look forward to the bat rep.

Profile Send private message