Login |  Register |  FAQ

Current status of Warhammer and WH40K

Post subject: Re: Current status of Warhammer and WH40K
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Karegak wrote:
Well it's very likely that that specific oddity came from historical wargaming seeing how all of the early GW crew were into history. In that case those 10 miniatures represent many more men and it is in fact only the frontage of the unit that is in any relation to the ground scale. Hence terms like 1:33 ratio meaning that one 28 mm miniature in fact represents 33 real soldiers. There are obviously issues with this as well, but that's where it started I believe. Some modern historical rules tend to echew it also.

Gotcha. I hate that even more. I mean, its ok in a Fantasy Flight game or something, where I might have a token figure representing a division of infantry on a hex board, but in a game where I see actual 3D models, and have painfully created terrain and so forth to be represented close to the same scale as the models, I really prefer to see games portrayed as I can see them on the table. Why use a 28mm figure? Go to a smaller scale.

On that, I remember reading about the first wargame ever made, but some Austrian or French soldier who was mocked by a general until like 15min into the game the general did a 180 and was all about it. Anyone know what I am talking about? I wanted to read up more on it and can't find it.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sounds like you're referring to the Prussian Kriegsspiel

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's kind of strange that Epic is a 1:1 affair, model wise, very literal and then you have Warmaster where a unit of 12 horsemen actually represents 100s!

Personal & Wargaming Blog: http://www.theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk

EPIC WIP: Grey Knights, Space Wolves, Eldar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, for all the epicness of Epic a standard 3k game doesn't even reach divisional level.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah I never looked at Epic as massive battles. Just really as a workable scale that I could have infantry, tanks, and big robots fighting it out, that would be impractical in another scale. And over time, has become something a little more than it wasn't originally, with all the emphasis on movement and abstractness.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Stormwind wrote:
It's kind of strange that Epic is a 1:1 affair, model wise, very literal and then you have Warmaster where a unit of 12 horsemen actually represents 100s!

That's what happens when people still want pretty, detailed models *and* vast armies. As much as I like small scales, there's only so much you can squeeze onto a 2mm high man!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:49 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

When I first arrived here in Singapore, I needed to get integrated into the local scene, and basically play whatever everyone else played here to make some contacts. The main two choices were 40K and Dust..... My SSU are looking OK now.....

I dont really have anything invested in 40K any more. I would like a decent 40K universe skirmish game (never really saw Necromunda as this, as its not IG and Marines and Eldar) but this simply isnt 40K now. I have a few boxed sets - a Terminator box, a box of Fire Warriors - largely because I love the minis still and if I ever get 1000 points of a single force painted up then I would be open for a game, but that is mini/painting driven, and not because I want to play 40K per se.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

<warning>nostalgic personal waffle ahead</warning>

Over the last few years, I have become increasingly disenfranchised with GW due to the introduction of flyers in 40K, the quick change from 6th edition to 7th edition, the constant barrage of new army books and the ever-larger kits. The destruction of the Old World and the introduction of Age of Sigmar were the final straws for me, and I started for the first time in 21 years looking around at what other games were available.

I quickly found Kings of War (just in time for the 2nd edition Kickstarter) and have enjoyed the couple of games I have played so far, as well as Mantic's level of community interaction. I found the Heavy Gear Kickstarter and those models will be landing some time this year. More to the point, I found a good deal on the 1st edition Space Marine game on eBay, played a practice game, got hooked, and went a bit mad buying up models on eBay to the point where I now have 5,000 points each of Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Orcs and Chaos Space Marines. Very few are painted but I'm working on it.

In the meantime, I've met a couple of pleasant and mature-minded 40K gamers in my area, which has given me the impetus to keep painting my Ultramarines, and of course there are always WHFB models to paint. And I have a mate who plays Blood Bowl, so my Orcs get an outing from time to time. And there's Dreadfleet, which is fun occasionally. And Space Hulk, which looks awesome but has too much puzzle solving for my tastes.

Overall, since I fell out with my high school buddies (Who wants to smoke weed and get drunk when you could be playing Warhammer? Come on guys!), it's painting and my attachment to the GW universes that kept the hobby flame alive. Only in the past two years have I met some nice people and gotten back into actually putting models on the table.

It's really amazing how much passion goes into keeping the Epic spirit alive (both NetEpic and E:A) and I'm most grateful to those people. NetEpic has gotten more table time in the past 12 months than any other game in my collection and is definitely my favourite game of all time, both for the rules and the scale. I finally get to paint all the tanks I've ever wanted without ever having to paint a large surface area.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@Kurgan

Yeah I think a lot of us are like that.

It's weird for me as I felt embarrassed and discouraged about painting and gaming my models from a very young age and so I was mostly on the outside looking in at people enjoying themselves but never sure how to commit myself.

I would spend hours poring over magazines and later on, websites without committing.

It's only the past 5 years that have seen me be a proper wargamer.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Haha all good points guys. Although I don't see the division - beers OR wargaming?? Combining the two is one of life's simple pleasures for me. Although I have been told you should drink and dice.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My local club has a bar, which is just - perfect. <3