Login |  Register |  FAQ

infinity, deadzone, dystopian wars or mutant chronicles

Post subject: infinity, deadzone, dystopian wars or mutant chronicles
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi
Because my goldfish like brain can only concentrate on a project for 1 day I'm looking to get into 28mm+ skirmish.
So shall I go for infinity, dead zone (mantic), dystopian legions mutant chronicles war zone. The definitive rule must be I don't want to be painting squadrens of tanks and hordes of infantry. Maybe a couple of tanks tops and under 50 infantry per side.
Thanks for any help!

Last edited by adamwest on Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: infinity, deadzone, dystopian wars or mutant chronicles
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:57 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Are you looking for information on how they play, or how you can get models for them?

www.youtube.com/user/ManticMoments

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

How they play. I do like campaign elements and character progression. I.e like necromunda

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Deadzone is mantics equivalent to necromunda. Like all mantic products, it is adequately functional but somehow soul-less and without charm. If you want to play necromunda, but for one reason or another, don't want to actually play necromunda, that's your best option I guess. As it stands, I can think of no real reason not to just play necromunda, but others seem to be happy with the game so YMMV i guess.

Infinity was a good (though not always well balanced) game with some pretty tricky to get your head through concepts that were exacerbated by language and translation barriers. It had some of the best mechanics for some things of any small scale skirmish game, and was generally pretty cool. It had some problems, and required a tremendous amount of terrain to play. It had a campaign/experience system but it was not a particularly good one. There is a new edition, which I think seems to have fixed some of the language barrier stuff and helps explain some of the conceptual differences between it and more usual wargaming, but I suspect it has lost some aspects of the "good" in the process (in particular I am not keen on how the rules for camouflage have changed) but the models are gorgeous and occasionally quite fiddly. The rules are free online, so maybe check those out before committing (though i suspect that like the previous editions, it requires a playthrough or two with someone who knows the rules to really click into place)

I have no experience with mutant chronicles or Dystopian Legions (I have played dystopian wars and though the ruleset was terrible and have not played it again since, I have no faith whatsoever in spartan games as a rules writing body, though i do like many of their models. Again, some people like the "exploding dice push stuff around the table for three hours" game style but why is somewhat beyond me.)

The other options you may want to consider are: Relic Knights and Wrath Of Kings

Relic Knights is out. there are one or two minor issues with the rules or balance that I have personally. these (surprising noone) are largely dismissed by the community in general. Aside from that, and the fact that the models require a bit more work than most to reach the standards of presentation I require, I think the ruleset is very good and the gameplay mechanics are very interesting. I highly recommend getting hold of, at least, the mini rulebook included in the starters (find someone localish who backed the kickstarter to send one too you, as they probably have a few spare)
warning on this one, it is not a quick game. I've not had a game that has ended in a timely manner, and as such I suspect it will be entirely unsuited to tournament play (a pity as otherwise I think it would be excellent for the purpose, once a few units were tweaked up or down)

Wrath Of Kings is coming out. You missed the sweet discounts of the kickstarter, and it's a fantasy setting rather than a sci fi one. it's also going to have the highest model count out of the ones i've discussed, but it is also a really interesting and good ruleset. the beta rules were available online, but may have changed a bit. It should be coming out "soon" and I am extremely hopeful that the game takes off and becomes successful.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

There are Many Many skirmish games out there; it's almost like the miniatuer playing and buying community is growing older and doesn't have time to paint 200 near-identical Skavenslaves while juggling a family and a career ..

By Mutant Chronicles, I guess yopu mean Warzone Resurrection? It's not really a skirmish game; more like 40k size squad based. The original game was Fantastic; some of the best miniature game rules I've Ever played. I'm serious; it was bloody brilliant.
Too bad the miniatures looked like Crap and the people who made the army lists really had No concept of game balance, what so ever, or just didn't give a shit.
I haven't played the new edition, but I Really want to (o:

Malifaux is a steampunk game with gorgeous models and story-driven objective system, and my current obsession. There is a Mordheim-like campaign system incoming, but it's not out yet, and no date is given. Low model count, simple basic rules and lots of miniature-specific rules.

I'm also looking to get back into Infinity, which has some of the prettiest models out there and a fantastic scifi feel. I Love and Loathe the system at the same time; some of the concepts seem really out there, and some of them are Great. Really psyched for the new edition. Seems to have the same problem as warmahordes: There's just So Much of it - it's near impossible to know what everything does without getting a run-down by the opponent pre-game, and some of those things Will lose you the game if you don't know what they do before setup.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A good choice for skirmish is Rogue planet http://www.wargamevault.com/product/139359/Rogue-Planet

The rules are designed for a fantasy sci-fi setting (such as a grim dark gothic future) But do not have any background or setting to stop you using them for any setting, period, or style you wish.

Like his last game, mayhem, the rules allow you to use any model or weapon you wish by letting you write your own profiles for your models.

I sadly have not been able to actually set the game up and play, as my games room has had a hole in the roof for ages now, and its not really usable! But I have read the rules, and made some profiles for some small skirmish teams.

It works well for any scale mini as there is no measuring for movement. There is some talk on lead adventures forum for adding a movement mod, but I dont think it matters that it is not in there, it works as it is.

It feels like a mix of necromunda (the setting, the campaign rules, etc..) but seems to play more like Inquisitor (more story based, then luck/dice base) Which is to say you will get more out of this game with a bit of roleplay/story telling. So probably not suitable for a strict tournament scene, this would play well for friendly/solo play.

Its dirt cheap too boot, and you can even use it with fantasy settings, though he is planning of making a complete fantasy version in the future.

My 6mm Sci-fi and skirmish TactComms Plog: Vermin!/Orks!/Micro-munda!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the answers guys! I do like the sound of rogue planet and I do quite enjoy writing my own profiles, I'm just not much of a gamer so I'd make everything uber powerful! I'm also a infamous lazy gamer I love starter sets! That's why gw took most of my wage in my early 20s!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Might also want to look at Imperial Assault if you like starter sets with everything in (and Star Wars obviously.) It has a multiplayer campaign setting (2-5 persons) with character progression and a list building head to head mode for one off games. Must admit, it's the only 28mm game I'm really interested in ATM.

Infinity is just huge - complex rules, multiple faction lists with thousands of options... It's great but you have to devote more time than I have available to ever be any good. I play casually and 3rd ed seems to have de-bugged it a little so might be a good time to get into it. Personally I have heard enough time to keep on top of EA!

Can't help with the others you mention, but you do know necromunda has a living rule sets and active forums online ? Look over at yakromunda for starters. Personally I would be happy to still be playing that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah I do have the necromunda and mordheim rulebooks. Maybe I should start with them. I do know of yakromunda there are some awesome gangs and terrain on there! For me personally It's just a bit hard getting motivated when there is no official push for the game!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've played a bit on Infinity - well, lots of reading and one tournament!! It makes a lot more sense when you're actually playing it and I think it does benefit from attracting a fanbase that enjoys the vibe as much as anything else more than the WAAC mentality that can sometimes make up 40K gaming circles for example.

The new edition looks pretty good and, as has been said already, the miniatures are lovely. It does feel a bit like E:A in that you always feel like you're in with a chance of winning, even when things are looking pretty bad which in my book is quite a hard trick to pull off.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

adamwest wrote:
For me personally It's just a bit hard getting motivated when there is no official push for the game!

Funny, for me a vibrant community (local or online) means so much more than company support - most of whom generally seem to just be out to twist the rules to make the new model essential to win (and I'm not just talking gw.) I don't blame them, just makes the whole thing a bit transparent.

As for the infinity scene - maybe it's just round here - but it seems very WAAC/tourney focussed. It's great if that's what you want, but I find casual games don't really work. Funny enough, the ice storm box was actually pretty good because the forces were so limited!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Blip wrote:
As for the infinity scene - maybe it's just round here - but it seems very WAAC/tourney focussed. It's great if that's what you want, but I find casual games don't really work. Funny enough, the ice storm box was actually pretty good because the forces were so limited!

I'm very picky about what I get involved with nowadays. If the scene's no good I'll stay well clear! I seem to be lucky that there's a good bunch of lads in Leeds, and actually the North in general from what I can tell, that are more concerned with having fun and painting little men than anything else.

I did have a few doubts when the new rules came out and the forums blew up with people crying about the fact that they haven't moved all of the old profiles across yet - it was pretty sad and kind of embarrassing to be honest... But that seems to have settled down now. Probably just an unfortunate function of the size of the player base.

ITS (the infinity tournament system) does seem to be the de facto method of playing at the moment but the new rules do include a bunch of specific scenarios so you can play a pick up game that's more than just kill your opponent so that should make it easier to play casually.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

To be honest I'll be probably solo playing. I might pick up the infinity starter set and if I don't like the rules I'll EBay it and give necromunda a go.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Infinity is a great system in my opinion. The rules do appear complex at first but once you get your head around them it is quick and easy to resolve combat. My main impression is that there is no single unbeatable unit - everything can be countered.

have fun with infinity, i play Aleph and really enjoy the system.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I quite like the look of the Islamic faction! But I'll give the factions in the starter pack a go first to get the feel of the game.
But then after getting a sneak peak at the osprey steampunk book I'm really liking the look of dystopian legions!
So many options!
I do like the feel of malifaux, the pure fantasy and wacky element but I don't like the actual miniatures!