Login |  Register |  FAQ

Sculpting Ork vehicles, 22/09 Gargants

Post subject: Sculpting Ork vehicles, 22/09 Gargants
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hello!

I don't paint neither i like it much, barely having painted a few miniatures in the last 25 years of tabletop gaming, and every time i get pushed to paint by others like it was mandatory drained even more my energies from it, leaving them at zero after some years.

What i enjoy a lot is creating, mainly terrain. After seing so many examples out there, mainly for 28mm, and how easy and how much it fits for Orks this kind of thing i saw an opportunity to do something new so i chose to sculpt my own miniatures, begining with Gargants.

After thinking much about it, and with a deeply rooted disrespect to glue due to many miniatures falling from their bases along the decades even with good glue, i thought on making them with as few parts as possible, while making an sturdy enough piece, leaving me with only option: using wood. Luckily, i had some pieces growing dust of a quite smooth and soft wood that hardly creates splints or breaks when cutting: Ayus, a tropical wood.
From that i measured the models i have at hand and compared with photos to get the size of rest, choosing to make some Supa-Stomps first as they are faster to make and less wood is wasted on what are probably failures as they are the first tries.

These are the first tries. Went for simple shapes based on 3rd edition models. I didn't have a clear image of what i wanted to make, while i had some clues, and i knew that the first ones would be no good, so i aimed to make many tests and leave the failures as proxies or for some emergency.

The idea was here to make the body and later worry bout the rest (weapons, head) after i had a more clear idea of what i wanted, but that has is problems, as i don't know if theses bodies are going to work with any kind of weapon i am going to design or if i have pieces that fit on those bodies. The idea with these were to make some drills below the shoulder pads for weapons, but it seems hard and the hull is a bit on the way of that, so lets see. Second and third are supposed to have two or three holes in those arms to look like the Mega Gargant or 1-2 edition Great Gargant.
Another problem i saw is the difference between real and perceived size, as there is both Supa-Stompa and Gargant sized ones in that photo but it is hard to tell who is who if looked from most angles, even though they are 1,5cm bigger in two axis. I dare you to find out, i tried it already in my club and no one guessed it right tlll now.

Suggestions and ideas are welcome.

Last edited by Abetillo on Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:38 am, edited 8 times in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Sculpting Gargants, and more ...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Oh, this looks really cool! Looking forward to see the end result! Did you carve out the shapes by hand?

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So will you make the details and weapons out of plastic card or something?

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/bitsblitz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

That's is pretty cool! :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Very nice.

Looking forward to follow this topic.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thank you all.

More shots incoming of other angles.

As you can see the bigger one is the second, but from the front the first looks as high just because of the shoulder pads, even though they have the head hole at the same height than the third, fourth and fifth and 1cm lower than second. I'll probably keep the fisrt as Asupa-Stompa but use scarcely to not confuse with the Gargants.

The second was a pain to make as it is made out of pine and not ayus so it is way harder to work with. Also the lower ''arms'' made it harder to access the space between them and the feet with a file tool, so i made some holes on the poor arms by mistake as the gap was too narrow.

* Malika, that's one of my problems, as i rushed to make the bodies without thinking on the future, so who nows how i can make them now or if i is possible or looks god. But everyone in the club is pushing me to make them in plastic, and to make the entire thing too, as they don't see much the point in wood.

* Mordoten, i suppose i can say that i made them on hand, as the tools are not automated like CNC machinery or 3d printers and depend much on the eye of the user at each moment. Most of the machine work was with one milling machine: http://www.warco.co.uk/2044-thickbox_de ... achine.jpg Also, they have lots of sanding and polish, as the machinery was for the main shapes only.

Last edited by Abetillo on Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:35 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So you used a milling machine. Humm I have a smaller one I will give this a go too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, SquatWarlord, more exactly, one very similar to this one:https://logismarketar.cdnwm.com/ip/burani-fresadora-de-mesa-fresadora-de-mesa-wd40-625210-FGR.jpg but without that thing on the left of the board, less levers and painted in green.

A milling machne is the most useful to create the feet and to carve the space between the two. Without it that part would take ages. My advice is be very careful with the tremblings of the machine, that all sides are well squared, and the right direction to mill as if not the piece can break, and find a soft wood, being pine a last resort or for the biggest pieces. Without resorting to expensive wood, this is probably the best one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Populus, or maybe Birch https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birch

For this week, i have a change. Now i go with a Landa. This time i used pine as wood, and it took a lot more, leaving with other problems like how to sand the areas between the tail in the upper wing and the reactors, as the files for rougher surfaces are too big to fit there and the ones that fit take ages to sand even a single milimeter.

I'll probably be cutting the upper wings tail, reduce the side wings too and separate the reactors if i find how to do it well enough. At first i thought of many ways to make a mouth that would open and close, but while i fond a good way i don't know how to make it stay still in its position so i discarded the idea, at least for now.

Post subject: Re: Sculpting Ork vehicles, 29/03 Landas
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Try some lapidary polish tips that fit on a dremel tool. They can polish stone so it should be great for wood.
Some places won't need to be polished as you will be adding additional details with plasticard no?

Another suggestion wouldn't it be easier to just add the feet on afterwards? Even the fins on the dropship could be added later. Once you paint everything who will know?
It should be a lot less technical.
Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That's a god idea, i can do that. I know someone that owns a Dremel so i could use it as a last resort. About the details, I am still at the same point as i told Malika2 before: I don't know.

On the feet I doubt it would be easier, at least, as long as i have my milling machine at hand. Feet are small, so are very hard to handle as there is not much where to grab and are easy to break save if i use a soft wood so pine wouldn't be an option. Also takes longer to make the extra holes on the body and the complications on size on male-female side. There is some extra complication as i need the piece to big big to be used on a milling machine and the current ones with the feet are already on the limit. On the other side, the milling machine does a wonderful and fast job not only on doing some nice feet but in making a completely trusted plane surface. Could even be used to make a skirt like structure or to resemble the hole in between the feet for the gun from First and second edition Slasher Gargant and Great Gargant.

The fins, yeah, could have done them separately, would be fast and i could make them in any size instead of being restricted to the wood block's size, but i wanted to make as less pieces as possible and also i went with the flow back then and made it simple, not caring about the end result much if i remember well. It is on my list of options for the next Landa, which will nt happen in a long time as Landas take thrice the time as the Supa-Stompas, part of it from being done in pine wood but no most of it.

Last edited by Abetillo on Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Pretty nice ! That's a good thing about Ork vehicles ... they don't have to have "smooth", "even", "clean", etc., lines and designs. They can be very "rough cut", etc.

Attachments:
ORK TUMZ UP !.gif
ORK TUMZ UP !.gif [ 3.36 KiB | Viewed 11442 times ]

Post subject: Re: Sculpting Ork vehicles, 08/04 MORE Landas
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

An small update this week. Landas take more time, due to size and because of using pine, so i thought: i doubt i'll have time to do more in a long time, so how about make some simple proxies for playing, or for when i want to play something crazy like 4-5 Landas lists? This is the answer.

They are around the size of the previous, between the official and Vanguards but obviously a lot lower. It also worked well as a test on shapes for future Landas. They were made on MD in a few minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

That's pretty slick.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As not everything can be good news, the next batch ended badly.

The first begun with a shape that i didn't like at all, so i worked on it again but not only the result is awful but i got the hole not well centered. Except if i receive a good idea, this guy will probably be a last resort for huge battles, or if i can convince Mordoten to add a formation of two or more Supa-Stompas to the OGBM list

With the second i wanted to both make a Gargant that looked like it has the size of a Gargant first, and achieve a shape similar to the second edition Great Gargant. The first part was successful, the second, maybe if i can manage to fix it. Time will tell.

By the way, next week i don´t know if i will have something to show or the time to.

Post subject: Re: Sculpting Ork vehicles, 14/04 Supa and Gargant
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Very, very cool project. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules