Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next

New TMG crowdfunding campaign

Post subject: Re: New TMG crowdfunding campaign
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sorry about my direness on the thread earlier, good to see that a few players are just transitioning. I was one of the last folks to order from SCP and took it to heart a bit.

As far as Epic rules go, I am not a huge fan of E:A because if feel it took a good bit of variety off the table. I do however get why people like it.

The challenge of bringing new folks in is that they expect the fluff to be current. Keeping with the current fluff is a lot more challenging than it seems. I am currently working to Supplement 5/6/7th Ed. 'nids into NE:G. It is really a larger challenge than you would think and I am really just scratching the surface. It is a time sink and not as much fun as painting or collecting (for me at least).

SO currentness of fluff aside, it is REALLY difficult to put together a proxy army! This is one place that folks like Vanguard could be a huge boost by putting together Army packs that get you up and running immediately with a proxy army. I know that is a tall order, but it definitely would be a huge help!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

madmagician wrote:
SO currentness of fluff aside, it is REALLY difficult to put together a proxy army! This is one place that folks like Vanguard could be a huge boost by putting together Army packs that get you up and running immediately with a proxy army. I know that is a tall order, but it definitely would be a huge help!

This is a possibility i'd consider putting in place as it would be relatively easy to put a bunch of figures in a box as an army starter pack. Problem would be though that not all customers are playing the same game or useing the same army lists which makes contents difficult to get right.

In fact being only an occassional player of E40k myself I would need substantial help from you guys with what to put in such a box set for other versions of epic and new entries like Laserstorm.

Maybe I should start another thread on the subject, would that be a good idea?

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Definitely as we have hijacked this thread and flown it across a few continents by now.

My thoughts would more be for the E:A folks, but a small starter force for NE:G would be pretty easy to create

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A starter box with a mix of forces types like I previously described could be tailored to one EA(?) an still be a very useful starting point for any other variant. It also ticks the box of giving a range of variety if someone wants to dip their toe and not sure they will use 80 Heavy Affray Elites for example.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@CyberShadow, I think that setting something up that includes other ranges like that is a great idea. I might be one of the few, since the discussion has moved on from this point.

Personally, I think the idea of picking two factions (like TMG Skinners and Onslaught sisterhood) and making a nice box set with tidied up rules, and even some terrain(there are plenty of 6mm options) would go a long way to help promote the 6mm hobby. Just doing an army starter set is not enough, IMO. Of course that means you have to pick a rule set and agree that this is the ruleset that will be pushed to new sci-fi 6mm players. It has to be a good intro game, which some versions of Epic are not.

I have a guy interested in starting a new game at my local board game club. But 6mm will be a hard sell since I'll have to print the rules(I don't know if there is a good printable version of the various rules out there), I have to make/buy terrain just for that game, I need markers etc.

If it was my choice I'd do to 6mm what Mantic did to 28mm. They are making inroads into Fantasy with their range and game. They are starting to do the same with 40k. They built a familiar but different world. The Epic community could try and bandwagon with them, making a 6mm version of their game(using current 6mm ranges), or we could go it along with a kickstarter.

I'd really love to see something like this come together, and would be willing to put time and effort into it(heck, I'd even be willing to start a business around it if I could). Unfortunately I feel like I'm one of the few, and that with only a few interested in its success it would fall on its face.

I've been on this forum for a good while now, and have had many intentions of getting into 6mm. It just hasn't happened though, because it seems to me that a few select european countries and a few American cities have Epic communities, and no where else does at all. Those other communities went below breaking point and are as good as gone. I'd love to see 6mm back in clubs again.

www.youtube.com/user/ManticMoments

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Actually I know that their are a bunch of people going for 6mm in germany. Its maybe the thing that u can play an army not just a few soldiers and after painting the first tank everybody sees thats its much easier to build an army than in 28mm. 6mm are easier to look nice than 28mm for sure.

The main prob we have in our playing group is the many versions of Epic. I did buy the Epic 40000 box from GW and i really like these rules. Simple and fun....Netarmageddon, well....GoldEpic? Epic.Uk? TitanEpic...whatever....

Ther eshould be one EPIC Rule all over the world, this combined with armyboxes promoted to the onlineshops and distributers can spread the Virus. But as long as the players are diveded about the rules.....6mm gaming is hard to spread...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

yeah that's not going to happen. Like Primarch said, people will play what they want.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I would soften it to suggest that there should one Epic set which is broadly agreed to be a good intro. For me that seems to be the Epic: Armageddon system, using the Minigeddon starter mods.

Personal & Wargaming Blog: http://www.theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk

EPIC WIP: Grey Knights, Space Wolves, Eldar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I disagree with the idea that wargaming communities are naturally disparate.

Epic is in a weird place compared to almost every other mini game I know.

For years the Warhammer people have followed along with GW, with one two possible alternatives(which have very minor differences) of ETC Warhammer and Swedish comp Warhammer. ETC is the only one that has any change at all from the main rulebook.

Now warhammer has a few versions, but even then it is settling into a few large camps. The main players are people who have accepted Age of Sigmar(mostly in the UK only), people who have moved over to Kings of War, and people who play a version called 9th Age. There are other versions by both players and GWs old rules, but those 10+different groups are tiny.

Bloodbowl only has one set of rules that players use now.

Warmachine, 40k, Infinity, Malifaux etc all have people playing one version. The thing that most of these have that Epic doesn't is a company leading the players. Most of these companies include community interaction, and most of their communities are happy that they are listened to, even though the rules don't all go their way. If 6mm scale games were in the same situation- specifically to the point where it was enticing enough for new players to join that one system- then i think more of the outliers of the community would learn to play that one version so that they could get games with more new players. Even if their end goal was to convert those new players to their system, you still have the majority of 6mm sci-fi players all willingly playing one version of a game.

I can tell you that if I played what I want, I wouldn't have gotten a game in in the past 4 years. I play what everyone else is playing at that scale. I thought 8th ed Warhammer was ok. But it was pretty much all I played the past years because the only two options I had at my local club was warhammer or 40k. No one had any interest in anything else whatsoever.

People play what gets them games first. If they have an abundance of games, then they play what they want, or they play what their friends play, or they play the game with ongoing tournaments, or they play games with regularly updated rulesets, or they play games with cool stories and so on.

www.youtube.com/user/ManticMoments

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I would disagree with that idea too. But then again, who wouldn't. Yes. Epic is a special case. That's the whole point.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Do you think vanguard could get rectangular bases like the old geedubs ones and square bases? Since you cant troublemaker's rectangulars from the 10mm line, I'm having trouble finding them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

LeCacty wrote:
Do you think vanguard could get rectangular bases like the old geedubs ones and square bases? Since you cant troublemaker's rectangulars from the 10mm line, I'm having trouble finding them.

The old strip bases from SCP will be back on sale once the exodus wars range returns which will be soon i've heard.

I did try to get a batch of those bases but SCP had no intention of selling them to me as they wanted to keep them in house. I've considered having my own made if affordable.

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Might be worth getting an arrangement with a laser cutting Co. Cheaper than getting plastics made and you could offer more variety too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, I would kill for a affordable rectangular bases a'la GW (no round corners, with holes).

From death comes hope, from desolation comes new beginnings, from the stars comes DEATHWING

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Blip wrote:
Might be worth getting an arrangement with a laser cutting Co. Cheaper than getting plastics made and you could offer more variety too.

It's a good idea and I do know someone i'll see if it's possible for him to do them for me. The fenris games ones are a two part .8mm ply design which you have to glue together I wonder if a single piece design would be possible.

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next