Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146  Next

Troublemaker Games 6mm Range

Post subject: Re: Troublemaker Games 6mm Range
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ForgottenLore wrote:
Small walking robot?

A model someone on the forum made a long time ago, that's no longer available.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Seeing the open window mock ups, I'm even more on the side of filled in windows. Open ones will have to have a sheet of something glued on the inside to not look like a toy.

But again, it would be a lot easier to do that than cut out the windows if they were filled.

If you do do open windows, then you have it right and you'll either need to do 3 walls and 1 roof per sprue, or have a generic roof sprue that comes with every 4 wall sprues.

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ForgottenLore wrote:
Seeing the open window mock ups, I'm even more on the side of filled in windows. Open ones will have to have a sheet of something glued on the inside to not look like a toy.

Yes. Exactly. As stated above. Or made into ruins, which cannot really be done convincingly with filled ins.

I keep pondering the rational here.

Positive with filled in="looks good"+"different design theme on either side"
Negative with filled in=Looks naff if you don't paint windows. Painting windows take time.

Positive with cut out=no need to paint, just glue a sheet of nicely colored plastics or whatever on inside. (Honestly, I did not come up with that idea just now), looks better when "ruined"
Negative with cut out="looks naff"+limited scope of variation on back/front

People will likely make up their minds based on a mix of time, abilities and esthetic demands.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ruins, that can be a stretch goal?

Could likely get 8 ruin chunks onto a sprue, of various sizes... I did ruined pieces when I did Mantic's terrain as well as complete tiles, it wouldn't be tough to do using this system.

Last edited by Evil and Chaos on Wed May 03, 2017 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:12 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

sounds like a plan to me.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mkay! I just thought I'd spare you the trouble by smashing, creatively and tastefully, those perforated wall sections myself...

Post subject: Troublemaker Games 6mm Range
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:

Blip wrote:
Also, i understand that these are concept designs. I'd be happy to help making the design more believably gothic if you like?

Please do. I may have to modify suggested designs to work with the plastics production process.

Will try to send some sketches. Im a bit tied up atm moving house. Whats your timeframe for finalising designs?

Got to say, the latest set of renders are looking much better - proportions are more slender which works well. And the panels stack surprisingly well. The mini buttresses are good too - bigger independent ones would be good!

For the mullions in the windows I would personally look to something like this :
http://www.lasercutcard.co.za/shop/imag ... 00x500.jpg

Window heads tend to be fractal - ie. made up of 2 or more smaller arches of similar proportion, sometimes with a unique icon centrally at the top. Obviously they can be very elaborate, but i guess you are restricted on tooling(?).

You could use similar club motifs over the left over spaces over the door (rather than the squashed window head) like this : http://bestscreenwallpaper.pro/wp-conte ... page12.jpg

Repeated arches around the door might help to bring the scale down a little more : https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/gothic- ... 270596.jpg

And a rose window panel would be great! https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/23 ... 4661c0.jpg

Stretch goal ?? :-)

On the right track though!

Posted using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Oh, and how about more of a parapet on the roof edges? Gothic ones be like : http://www.norwich-churches.org/Glossar ... Palace.jpg ??

Posted using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Blip wrote:
Will try to send some sketches. Im a bit tied up atm moving house. Whats your timeframe for finalising designs?

Maybe a couple of weeks for the first set.

Quote:
For the mullions in the windows I would personally look to something like this :
http://www.lasercutcard.co.za/shop/imag ... 00x500.jpg

Window heads tend to be fractal - ie. made up of 2 or more smaller arches of similar proportion, sometimes with a unique icon centrally at the top. Obviously they can be very elaborate, but i guess you are restricted on tooling(?).

Quite restricted yes; the smallest drill bit I have access to here is 0.5mm, and that means a lot of angles need to be slightly rounded off.

Quote:
And a rose window panel would be great! https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/23 ... 4661c0.jpg

Stretch goal ?? :-)

That's a cool design, but not suitable for an initial set I think, or even the first wave of stretch goals.

My current thought is, if we go back to filled-in style:

Goal 1 - Basic Mixed Sprue - 2x Gothic, 2x Cyberhive
Goal 2 - Cyberhive Stretch Goal - 2x Cyberhive panels re-used from the Mixed Sprue, 2x new Cyberhive panels
Goal 3 - Gothic Stretch Goal - 2x Gothic panels re-used from the Mixed Sprue, 2x new Gothic panels
Goal 4 - Ruins? Skinner semi-ruined industrial panels? Art deco? Modern residential?

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Blip wrote:
Oh, and how about more of a parapet on the roof edges? Gothic ones be like : http://www.norwich-churches.org/Glossar ... Palace.jpg ??

Don't think that'll go on the basic panels fittingly, as it'd be repeated at the top of each panel for tall buildings. Could easily be done as metal add-ons though.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:

My current thought is, if we go back to filled-in style:

Goal 1 - Basic Mixed Sprue - 2x Gothic, 2x Cyberhive
Goal 2 - Cyberhive Stretch Goal - 2x Cyberhive panels re-used from the Mixed Sprue, 2x new Cyberhive panels
Goal 3 - Gothic Stretch Goal - 2x Gothic panels re-used from the Mixed Sprue, 2x new Gothic panels
Goal 4 - Ruins? Skinner semi-ruined industrial panels? Art deco? Modern residential?

Never try to force a craftsman to do stuff your way. I really enjoyed the look of the cut out windows you showed earlier on. That would have been something entirely new and exciting to me. But if you don't want to or see the spiffyness, well, then that's it I suppose. Your arguments are valid and it seems there are several ppl who are willing to paint windows or don't care about not doing it.

By the looks of it, the hive design follows the old Necromunda bulkhead pattern well enough and that means you don't really have to paint the windows on that one, so I might purchase anyhow.

Seeing as you are heavily leaning towards filled in tiles, ruins is probably a good idea.

Art deco would perhaps work for use in dropzone, which is a clever way to broaden your base.

OTH, I would much prefer some variant of brutalist industrial design theme.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
By the looks of it, the hive design follows the old Necromunda bulkhead pattern well enough and that means you don't really have to paint the windows on that one, so I might purchase anyhow.

I don't mind that comparison. :-)

That kind of industrial style hasn't really been done before, and I think it would offer something cool & different. There would definitely be a lot of "negative space" on this style ; please feel free to make suggestions on types of tile you'd like to see. The current WIP design is by no means final.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

New WIP tiles incorporating some of the suggested design features... thoughts?

I've moved the ladder on the Cyberhive tile to the centreline so you can get 4 different visuals out of the 2 tiles by turning the tile upside down... could also do with a bit more variety in the Cyberhive tiles, need mindfood ideas here.

Attachments:
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 156.68 KiB | Viewed 12161 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looks good!

Posted using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Novan and Cybershadows buildings on a single sprue would work, keep the skinnerz separate though. Its one of the main critiques ive heard regarding the infantry sprue you did.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/bitsblitz

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146  Next