Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146  Next

Troublemaker Games 6mm Range

Post subject: Re: Troublemaker Games 6mm Range
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looks good methinks. Might be a tad repetitive with identical ladders on both industrial tiles. I see you need something to break it up into smaller sections. Could you add some kind of grove to suggest several heavy plates making up each tile?
Maybe break up one ladder at the middle and add a small platform/ledge or something at the top.

You could add smaller viewport like circular or oval holes. Maybe in a row somewhere to suggest windows on a raised partial xth floor section inside of a huge factory hall.

Additionally, I noticed you have not filled these in, whereas the churchy stuff has filled in windows. Just a draft I suppose. Still hoping for the cut through windows ;)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Cyberhive tiles I think should have open holes to view through.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That sort of makes the alternative windowpattern on other side invalid though?

Brutalist architecture is the most inhuman and therefore 40K architecture ever. I do find this stuff more credible as "STDs" than anything with arched windows...

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:

I think with this kind of industrial style that can be worked around a lot easier than with more regular building types.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:
Quote:

I think with this kind of industrial style that can be worked around a lot easier than with more regular building types.

Not sure I got that. I might have been a bit unclear too. My point was that you cannot have a radically different design on the other side of perforated tiles. Regardless of the specific theme of that design. So I just wondered why the industrial design was different to the medieval design in that regard?

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hmm, if it's 6 panels per sprue, it should stick to the same theme in order to let you make a complete builing per sprue, so a single gothic sprue, industrial sprue, etc
They dont look that interchangeable to me.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/bitsblitz

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:21 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

malika2 wrote:
Hmm, if it's 6 panels per sprue, it should stick to the same theme in order to let you make a complete builing per sprue, so a single gothic sprue, industrial sprue, etc

First sprue wants to be mixed for financial reasons I feel, subsequent (single-theme) sprues will be cheaper to tool, and thus easier to fund.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:21 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nitpick wrote:
Evil and Chaos wrote:
Quote:

Not sure I got that. I might have been a bit unclear too. My point was that you cannot have a radically different design on the other side of perforated tiles. Regardless of the specific theme of that design. So I just wondered why the industrial design was different to the medieval design in that regard?

Oh, basically because the industrial theme doesn't look odd if you can see "into" the structure, I suppose?

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:
malika2 wrote:

First sprue wants to be mixed for financial reasons I feel, subsequent (single-theme) sprues will be cheaper to tool, and thus easier to fund.

But does the sprue have enough panels to make a single building with a single theme? Or would you need at least two sprues to make a complete building? Thing is that the gothic and industrial panels aesthetically speaking aren't really interchangeable.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

malika2 wrote:
But does the sprue have enough panels to make a single building with a single theme? Or would you need at least two sprues to make a complete building? Thing is that the gothic and industrial panels aesthetically speaking aren't really interchangeable.

It would need multiple sprues for the mixed theme sprue.

For the single-theme stretch goals, you'd need less sprues.

I was intending to sell them in sets of 10 sprues or so, with progressive discounts for larger sets (eg: £2 for a single sample sprue, £1.75 per sprue for the standard price, and perhaps as low as £1.50 per sprue for a big set - I need to run the numbers on it to work out where the price points should sit).

So let's consider a standard set of 10 sprues for a gothic-only theme sprue, would give 40 panels - enough for 8 small buildings, or 5 medium sized buildings, a mix of big and small buildings, or 1 large cathedral?? :-)

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:
Oh, basically because the industrial theme doesn't look odd if you can see "into" the structure, I suppose?

Ah. OK. I don't think it does look that strange, though. And, also, the main incentive would be to let fellow hobbyists attach a something to the inside creating instant perfect looking actual windows of any colour and transparency with the added possibilities for battery powered led-lighting and all sorts.

Price per square looks OK I think, but have you thought of the roof in a medium 1x2 or 2x2 frontage you would need a 2x2 roof as well? Meaning 12 tiles minimum för a 1 level square. Granted, I am a terrain building lunatic and would build my own roofs, but most players find it difficult to even paint their little guys.

Given the terrain rules/recommendations in EA , I would hope this project contributes to finally moving away from the tiny tiny buildings we have seen thus far and into properly sized constructs that affords gaming, e.g. hiding an IG company and such like.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Was giving this a little more thought over breakfast while looking at the sample building s you posted up earlier.

The giant Gothic door looks great, but you only really need max 1/2 per building. Could you replace it with a larger, more elaborate arched window - something like this : https://traveltoeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/wpid-Photo-Apr-16-2013-805-AM.jpg - then have the door as a lay-in metal piece which fills in the large window?

Typically, large gothic structures (structures) start with small windows at lower levels (more wall to bare the load) then open up to large windows at upper levels (as per the image above). Therefore the two panels pieces you are proposing would stack nicely into a cathedral nave type building, or the large window could be used as a feature in a more standardized block building. On a related note - seeing it on a bigger screen - the "splay" pattern over the door is a bit odd. I'm not completely opposed to it, but diminishing sized gothic arch niches might look more typical.

Personally, I think separate sprues are the way to go, but I think I understand what you are planning - its a mixed sprue unless you get the funding level, and then its split into two different types right ? With other styles to follow if it goes swimmingly?

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great idea on a decorative window, with a metal insert to make a door.

Quote:
Personally, I think separate sprues are the way to go, but I think I understand what you are planning - its a mixed sprue unless you get the funding level, and then its split into two different types right ? With other styles to follow if it goes swimmingly?

Correct - the first mixed sprue will be quite expensive, but then doing single-theme sprues that split out into two separate themes will be much, much cheaper.

I'm not sure what styles to follow on with - Modern office? Skinners semi-ruined industrial? Ruins?

Am open to suggestions and bribes :)

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

After the Novan gothic and Cybershadows industrial it would be nice to see some Skinnerz terrain, which is kinda half industrial / half shantytown I guess?

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Skinners would be to obvious, though not sure if the regular sizes would be hard to make "ramshackle"...

I would have thought ruins would be a luxury as they could be made fairly easily by cutting things up. Though I go along with the argument for open windows would make this easier.

Brutalism would be cool - fits the future dystopia well. Could look to the Trellick tower : https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... Avenue.jpg Needs lots of balconies though.

People often lump in soviet style as well https://chawedrosin.files.wordpress.com ... e-3452.jpg Though both are tricky to make interesting as a model. Likewise the modernist plate glass tends to looks dull on the table (and is pretty easy to scratch build).

Personally, something slightly more historic like the turn of the century chicago style https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... Avenue.jpg would be more interesting on the table, generic enough for many systems/periods and suit the modular nature. As with any historic style (inc gothic) its the top and bottom stories which need the detail, with many generic infill levels.

Posted using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146  Next