Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

Missing Threads

Post subject: Re: Missing Threads
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Best go delete my thread in 6mm and the 2 in ToEG then, can I even do that myself?

Thus ends my painting and modeling contributions here for the time being...

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:00 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Following discussion with the moderators here, I have refined my thoughts and I think that there are two issues here.

The first is with the sale and distribution. This is the key factor that must not happen.
The second is the fact that these items existed in the past, and denying this is fairly pointless.

I would not necessarily remove these items if they are subtle and in past posts or pictures. If you have some, I would avoid overtly posting them, but by the same token you are not selling or distributing, and I don't think that anyone ever got any IP attention for only owning.

I will need to consider this, and I would be happy to take comments and thoughts on it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As you say they aren't a big secret. You'd have to remove a considerable amount of painting threads to get rid of everything. Basically you'd have to rip the heart out of the 6mm thread. Which i must add, the 6mm thread is the only reason i stopped by here so much and then finally decided to make an account. Yes there's a lot of threads still left, but your destroying future additions to the thread. There's something like 40-50 guests surfing the forums and looking around at any given time, i bet a lot of those are checking out the modeling sections. I feel if they are already known about, cutting them out of future threads will make posting your whole project feel hollow. I don't know maybe I'm just rambling.

Blind-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

CyberShadow wrote:
CaptainSenioris wrote:
So I feel I should ask... I have painting threads that shows many of these models, with many more squirreled away for future projects, enough to last me a good while. Should I sweep these under the carpet now and paint them in private or is it ok for me to continue?

I've actually wondered this for a while, now seems an appropriate time to ask.

It is probably best that these items are not advertised or promoted in any way.
Thanks.

I'd been wondering that too. Perhaps it's understandable for safety, but that really sucks :( There must be at least a dozen people, including our best painters, who can't show off much of their existing and future painting now and that's a terrible shame.

Would others of the old guard be interested in moving certain painting threads elsewhere on the net to a new location? I have in mind a private board for model/army painting, the sort that is viewable only by members and not the public and making it invite only to select people here with no newcomers for safety. It's not ideal and unfortunately exclusive, but I'd much rather this than nothing. Note I do just mean this for painting only, not for trading. It would need to be an independant, separate endeavor, with no connection with CS or this board.

Edited to add: What about playtest reports too, should we not post up photos to visually communicate what is going on in the games if the armies include a lot of certain models? There's already not as much playtesting as there used to be and this could further impact it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Surely a hobby site that is titled in a way that has no relation to GW should not be influenced by IP concerns ifit is not promoting the sale of potentially IP infringing items?

I cannot see how people's back-yard creations of anything (GW or otherwise) are an IP concern for displaying on a hobby site.

What people do offsite (privately) is also not the concern of a hobby site.

Take my and others painting displays off and I really cannot see the benefit of this site beyond a rules bash forum.

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:35 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've recently been considering a possible 10mm generic scifi game using the epic game engine.
We're currently cutting steel on a plastic injection bases mould for troublemaker games' Timeline 300 which are similar to the epic style bases but bigger and those could be re used.

Last edited by Evil and Chaos on Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:
They (both GW & FW) have been offered new 6mm models for free, and turned them down.
They (GW) have also turned down attempts to license the IP to set up an external company.
Mr. Jervis Johnson was quoted less than 1 month ago saying Epic will never return.

They are to all appearances totally uninterested in selling 6mm scale models.

They are truely wankers of the highest order! I might go kick in the window of my local (Torquay) GW store. And throw something soft and squishy at the managers head...erm...like a tomato...

Anger issues aside, as jimmyzimms says, there could easily be development of ip free alternatives to GWs ranges, which given enough character and consitency across armies, would be easily good enough. The creators on here (no names mentioned in case GW hasn't spotted them with evil eye) are easily skilled enough to do this.

Evil and Chaos wrote:
We at Troublemaker Games would truly cherish any new customers. :-)

Agreed, that is a truely shameless plug. :) I'm thinking of purchasing the britsih infantry as praetorian proxies. I've always had a thing for them, and now I can own 'em 6mm!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Rug wrote:
My interest in the hobby has taken a blow from which it is unlikely to recover.

But what really annoys me is the vagueness and cryptic talk about what brought this about. I'm too annoyed to read between the lines.

Have persons on this forum received polite communications from GW or what? Is there really good/ hopeful news behind this change or is it a crippling kick in the nuts?

+1!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:55 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Anybody who is shocked this has happened is incredibly naive - just look at the way BB on the internet was shutdown for far less. I would think that if you're an Epic player you should have accepted GW isn't going to provide anything more than they do now and that models should be sourced from wherever you can - other companies, forums, ebay and converting

My view was that all these models were a bonus but that their availability isn't what made me like EA. I enjoyed scratchbuilding my own Defilers and thats what I'll go back to doing - though I doubt all these wares will disappear overnight.

Take a look at the modelling section in Raiders - just as inspiring as any of the CAD threads in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

novemberrain wrote:
Rug wrote:
My interest in the hobby has taken a blow from which it is unlikely to recover.

But what really annoys me is the vagueness and cryptic talk about what brought this about. I'm too annoyed to read between the lines.

Have persons on this forum received polite communications from GW or what? Is there really good/ hopeful news behind this change or is it a crippling kick in the nuts?

+1!

Lets say somebody might have got a ceast and desist letter from GW. Not hard to figure out who. Not sure if saying that'll get me told off by a mod but I don't see why it should. Surely letting people know is better than false assumptions and conjecture. If I have tread on anyones toes (cybershadow?), let me know and I will summarily take my beating!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Steve54 wrote:
Anybody who is shocked this has happened is incredibly naive - just look at the way BB on the internet was shutdown for far less.

incorrect.

BB was attacked as the name could be linked back to GW.

Now that they are under TFF All is the same and GW is absent.

So what is this site's excuse?

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

For Rug

This big Uk company wrote not so nice letters to people(s?) who were...ok, being honest, Taking liberties with there 28mm creations and making them available to us 6mm fanatics.
These people(s?) went, Damn, stopped and have left the forum (or at least shut down their account, or had it shut down...don't really know there)
They also, I would assume (as I don't know that side of the story) contact those who do a wonderful job of running TC and said "Cease and Desist all threads showing these models being CAD'ed and Cast as their ours and you can't have them, :P "
(I imagine it was much more wordy and had alot of legalize speak)

Now we don't get to see, and get any really cool 6mm versions of 28mm models we want cause
A) I don't have 200 bucks to blow a single model
B) you would have to be blooming nuts to spend 200 bucks on one blinging model
and
C) the most important reason, you don't want to buy the $200 model, have your GF, wife, Significant other find out you spent $200 on a single model and have them do nasty things to your private gentlemen parts ;D

All in all I get it, I just don't like it....and no, as someone said I am not doing the Chicken Little the sky is falling, I just am upset cause now I can't finish some of my armies the way I wanted too....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

frogbear wrote:
Steve54 wrote:
Anybody who is shocked this has happened is incredibly naive - just look at the way BB on the internet was shutdown for far less.

incorrect.

BB was attacked as the name could be linked back to GW.

Now that they are under TFF All is the same and GW is absent.

So what is this site's excuse?

I have no idea whom this refers to. Who's BB and TFF?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next