Login |  Register |  FAQ

ork bike range

Post subject: ork bike range
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I haven't done much with Orks in Epic 40,000, but am looking into them now.

The bikes really have a 45cm range? And the buggy is the same, but just 30cm? Huh.

That just surprises me. Is that what they did in 40K at the time? I'd imagined buggies at 30, bikes at 15.

Has anyone mounted buggies like bikes, 3 to a base? I've got so many of these things, some plastic, some metal, and I've always liked them. I wonder if I have enough to just mount 'em that way and just swap which models represent which stats.

The rules seem pretty clear, so I don't guess I have a question. Just wondered whether anyone ever did anything differently.

andy

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: ork bike range
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:59 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

The Heavy Shoota's on bikes have always had a short range. I bet 45cm is a typo and should have been 15cm.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ork bikes cost 13, buggies cost 11, and they are identical except for basing (which isn't relevant) and range. So if it is a typo, there is more than one.

The fluff text in the Armies book mentions "impressively armed Ork warbikes".

I was going to say that I didn't remember discussion of this, but that was a long time ago. There is probably a lot of stuff I don't remember. :)

andy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Orks' Bikes, Trikes and Buggies have gone thru a number of iterations in 40K and in turn reflected in Epic. So there will certainly be various ranges and firepower based on type, etc., ... Autocannons, Las-cannons, Plasma-guns, heavy bolters, etc., etc. So I think that is generally seen in the various stats with all the different versions of Epic ... Here's a link with the various versions from each era of Epic ... http://www.galactic-intrigue.com/epicol ... rames.html Just go to the Ork link and clink on Bikes & Buggies ... ^-^

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Heavy Shootas were from Gorkamorka or 40k 3rd Edition or something. E40k was designed during 40k 2e, when Ork bikes had twin autocannons (hence the 45cm range). Buggies had heavy bolters and other weapons, hence the 30cm range. Epic 40k Ork stats are accurate!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sounds about right to me. Having started Epic with SM1 in '90. And seeing all the iterations since then.

And as far as I'm concerned Gorka Morka was a 40K game/in the 40K universe. It's Big Galaxy, let alone Universe ...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Only about 6 months late to the party!

Of course there's nothing to stop you from declaring that your bikes are the equivalent of buggies with the Assault speciality. They'd still probably be 13 points (Skarboyz are also +2 points for Assault), but range would reduce to 15cm and Assault would go up to 2. That would be more consistent with EA and so on and, frankly, makes a bit more sense* that having a long range.

* not that sense has a lot to do with anything ...