Login |  Register |  FAQ

ranges in fring

Post subject: ranges in fring
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Here's an effect of E40K's firing procedure that I believe exists, though is not typically very important.

As I understand it, all units that have range to an enemy target unit may fire. And all enemy target units that are in range of a firing unit may be hit. So you can have this situation:

One side's units are letters, A and B. The other's are numbers, 1 and 2.

A 2
A 2
A 2
A 2
A B 1 2
A 2
A 2
A 2

Say that all the A units have range to unit 1. And all the 2 units are in range of unit B.
So all As and B may fire, and 1 and all 2s may be hit.

First of all, is that right? It is how we collectively understood it on the old epic mailing list.

Second, how important do you think that is? I think it is just an abstraction, intended to simplify and speed things up. Units can be very separated from each other because of the 30cm command radius.

Have you ever noticed it made a difference? I was thinking about handling it differently for the hex variant, but I don't think it is worth it.

andy

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: ranges in fring
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I just noticed that the formatting of my above illustration didn't work out at all. I'll try again.

A..................................2
A..................................2 All As have range to 1, and B has range to all 2s. So all As can shoot, and all 2s can be hit.
A..................................2 It doesn't depend on whether As have range to 2.
A...........B.....1..............2

Possibly nobody cares. :) But just in case people don't think it worked that way (that units could fire past their range as above), here's where I get it:
Under ADD UP FIREPOWER:
"Measure the range from units in the firing detachment to the target detachment using the range ruler. Add up the Firepower values of attacking units that ave a line of fire and are within range of at least one target."'

and

Under ALLOCATE HITS
" Hits may only be allocated against units that are in range and in the line of fire of at least one unit from the attacking detachment (you can't be hit if you can't be short at!)."

I suppose that in addition to what I illustrate above, you might have B and 1 near a corner, with As and 2s outside of LOS of each other, but As able to see 1 and B able to see 2s.

andy

Profile Send private message