Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

TOEG 2012 - Jan's Imperial Guard

Post subject: Re: TOEG 2012 - Jan's Imperial Guard
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As much as I like honeworld I wasn't sold on that paint scheme until I saw those arty and it all clicked for me into place. Great bold original looking force!

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Very interesting and well executed colour scheme. I really like those DRM vehicles, should work very well for Renegade Guards' armies as well. Are those Basilisks Thunderstrikes?

/Fredmnas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the praise!

fredmans wrote:
Very interesting and well executed colour scheme. I really like those DRM vehicles, should work very well for Renegade Guards' armies as well. Are those Basilisks Thunderstrikes?

/Fredmnas

Yes, they are Thunderstrikes! One of my favourite mini from DRM...

Rastamann wrote:
Now I can see!!!!!!!! Halehluiah!!!!

Great scheme! Not too used to seeing them all nice and shiny, nowadays, but I like it a lot!

Glad that hosting them somewhere else helped... As I said, I couldn't see them myself anymore!

jimmyzimms wrote:
As much as I like honeworld I wasn't sold on that paint scheme until I saw those arty and it all clicked for me into place. Great bold original looking force!

I wasn't so sure myself when I started, but now I'm really happy with the scheme. The only thing with the "fluff" now is of course: What kind of army goes to war in nice blue vehicles, and with some nice shining orange markings to boot? It's like painting a bullseye on your tank. I guess it's an attitude thing...

Legion 4 wrote:
Nicely done ! Reminds me of UN forces ...

I had the same thought. Wait till you see the infantry - blue helmets everywhere! Another stupid thing to do on the battlefield... ::)

Jan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Jan wrote:
I wasn't so sure myself when I started, but now I'm really happy with the scheme. The only thing with the "fluff" now is of course: What kind of army goes to war in nice blue vehicles, and with some nice shining orange markings to boot? It's like painting a bullseye on your tank. I guess it's an attitude thing...

You're right, noone, not even Ultramarines, would be that stupid in the future. ;)

/Fredmans

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:17 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Really nice looking army.
It's going to be a very striking force once finished.
I'm looking forward to more photos!

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE
Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:03 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

fredmans wrote:

You're right, noone, not even Ultramarines, would be that stupid in the future. ;)

/Fredmans

Thats why I said "what army"... :) From what I've read about Space Marines, their tactics and strategies put them more or less on the same level as the bad guys in a Chuck Norris movie. I'm still working on an plausible explanation for my forces apparent disregard for sensible paintjobs on their rides.

Onyx wrote:
Really nice looking army.
It's going to be a very striking force once finished.
I'm looking forward to more photos!

Thanks! You will notice, however, that my choice of minis resembles very closely a certain gentlemans hobby blog... So thanks in advance for inspiring my choice of Tanks, the Sentinels, my infantry, half the artillery, the Chimeras, the Hydras... ::) Not to forget the Valkyries! The Reaper CAV Lynxes are my favourite models in the whole army, wouldn't have found them without your blog! So consider me your unwanted miniature padawan... :D

Jan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If you read the Gaunts Ghost's novels, you can read about the Vitrians i believe i may be wrong on the name. But they have mirror like armors that reflect. Also one of the main antagonists that try to destroy the ghosts and the Vitrians come to their rescue, i believe they where purple uniforms. The khetzok basilisks he runs into are purple with dragons on them aswell. Or it could just be your Parade ground colors, similar to the house armies in battletech having special colors but have camo when in country.

So in the warhammer universe it's common to have bright colors.

This is all if i remember correctly I have not read those books in some time though.

Blind-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Jan wrote:
jimmyzimms wrote:

For Epic, I'm okay with an army not being painted with a camo scheme. It's unrealistic, but I'm more concerned about an army looking good on the tabletop.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice bright scheme there, can't wait to see some infantry!

Don't suppose you're also a fan of Irn Bru by any chance?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Blindhorizon wrote:
Or it could just be your Parade ground colors, similar to the house armies in battletech having special colors but have camo when in country.

That's one explanation I thought of, as well. It could be a garrison force hastily sent to the front somewhere, no time to break out the green paint...

Dwarf Supreme wrote:
For Epic, I'm okay with an army not being painted with a camo scheme. It's unrealistic, but I'm more concerned about an army looking good on the tabletop.

Exactly!

CaptainSenioris wrote:
Nice bright scheme there, can't wait to see some infantry!

Don't suppose you're also a fan of Irn Bru by any chance?

;D

Although I once saw an Irn Bru commercial on youtube, I wasn't aware of their company colours... So there we have it, my army is now officially the private defense force of a scottish soft drink manufacturer, which of course has expanded over the next 38000 years and now has to defend the Haggis Sector which houses its vast drink manufacturing worlds...

::)

Anyway, next up are the little 'uns. Two detachments of Sentinels, driving straight out of a popular X-Box shooter...

Seen up close, I really need to work on the details a little bit more, especially the guys on the back. But they look decent enough at arms length...

Then there are my Rough Riders proxies, test models for now as I only have 3. But I'll order more of them with the next batch of models.

How do they reflect the Rough Riders stats, you ask? Easy: They have very very short ranged weapons, so are only good in CC. Or something. Honestly I couldn't find Rough Rider proxies I liked, and these models are really good, so there you go. Maybe they pour boiling Irn Bru on their enemys while doing a fly by?

Till next time!

Jan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice army all over
excellent working colorsheme

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Rastamann wrote:
Nice job on those! You must take a group shot from farther away to see how it looks on a table :D

A group shot is planned for the next fotoshoot, tomorrow morning. This is to celebrate my completion of the entire airborne section of my army - 15 models all in all. Just finished the basing right now, thank god.

Now onto some new fotos. First up a kitbashed Vanquisher WIP. I placed a big order with Reaper Minis for my flyers, and ordered some bits and bobs that caught my eye, as well. I can really recommend reapers Boneyard and Robot Supply Depot sections, as well as their CAV range, for anyone who isn't aware of them.

Anyway, I ordered a single tank model from Reaper to try out the scale in comparison with the DRM stuff I have. It works really well! So I decided to chop off the tanks realistically proportioned (= weedy little) main gun and replaced it with a REAL cannon, courtesy of the Tau empire.

I find the Tau aesthetic really really cool, so I bought a crisis suit a few weeks ago and plan to incorporate all the nifty weapons into my army. This also helps me with the fluff behind my bright colour scheme: I've decided that my army will be from a world that has been assimilated into the great Tau empire! Hence the nice crisp colours, and of course our benevolent protectors will have provided weapon technology, as well.

From what I've gathered, the Tau as a race are the closest WH40k gets to being 'the good guys', right? So I'm perfectly happy with my armies homeworld defecting to the Tau, they were probably as fed up with all that grim darkness as I am...

So, next up is a little sneak peek at my air units. I've always had difficulties with flying bases. This time, I'm quite happy with my new "washer on plasticard base, greenstuff and nail" technique. Definitely can recommend it. Besides the base, my primed Valkyries are awaiting some colour. And blurry in the background are my Ogryn power armour units, which I will be painting up next.

Till next time!

Jan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just came back from spray coating all of my vehicles in one go. Given the cold weather, I was a bit worried of effing up my whole ground forces in one go, but the finish seems to be ok at the moment. What is definitely NOT ok is what the spray coat did to my decals... ??? The bloody things really warp and in some cases start to roll themselves up when they come in contact with spray coat, in this case citadels Purity Seal. There will be some 'battle damage' on my vehicles markings, I'm afraid...

In other news: I had another foto session before I used the spray can of doom. First up are the infantry.

2 Sniper bases:
The pic is a bit blurry, but then again it might just be the paint job. I can't for the life of me bother myself with painting any more detail on 6mm infantry models. Looks good at arms length, and that is what counts.

Company command:
Nothing really distinguishing those guys from the rest, apart from the radio men. I call it 'meta-camouflage', when my opponent can't make out where the Supreme Commander actually is... :)

Then the other guys:
The rocks aren't finished yet, the rest is.

Group shot:
Almost a whole company!

And due to popular demand, a wide shot of the whole shebang:

More pictures tonight, the air force wants to make an appearance...

Cheers

Jan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next