Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ToEG 2012 - Jimmy Zimms Guard Madness

Post subject: Re: ToEG 2012 - Jimmy Zimms Guard Madness
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Unexpected Reinforcements from Kreig!
+Macharius Super Heavy Company inbound to your position. 2 clicks out. ETA 12 minutes. Confirm+

Couldn't help myself. Granted my initial ToEG force is nominally a "Counts As" Candian force, my Guard collection is not unlike MoK's in that I'm collecting a versatile range of models so that I can play multiple lists as it strikes my fancy. Here's the first tank (of 6). Started with the command tank as they are just awesome looking.

I actually had a terrible mishap with my primer (combination of clogged air hole and too much moisture in the air) and the damn things looked like they grew fuzz all over and were gunked up. Sighing when I realized what happened, I dropped them in a glass of Simple Clean for a week to strip and restart. After scrubbing the damn thing until my fingers were raw and repeated soaks, only half the primer actually came off. Note: This is a testament to just how good a primer Army Painter's rattle cans are.

Sad that there were cracks and weathering that I couldn't do anything about I thought they were ruined. However as the eldest kept me up all night with his shenanigans, I drug myself out of bed at 4 this morning and wandered into the work room and decided to give it a crack. If I couldn't get the primer off and theres rivets and other distress on the base cost then how can I run with it, I thought. Let's try out some old beat up machinery and use the damage to my advantage then! I tried to go with making them look like tanks that have seen some serious action recently.

I started with a based of Army Painter Uniform Grey for the body, boltgun metal on the tracks, weapons, and tanks/engine. The heavy stubber, turret and side panels were Army Painter Skeleton Bone (great paint BTW: perfect coverage, no gunking up). Over the grey I applied a heavy wash of Athonian Camoshade followed by a light dry brushing of uniform grey on the edges again. Rust effects were applied with a combination of spackling and lightly washing VERY thin amounts of bestial brown and Macharius Orange into the appropriate places (there's far more rust dots that what can actually be made out in these shots). Finished off with some deatailing with black ink to bring out the contrast.

Devlan wash was liberally applied to all things bone. This was followed up with splotchy application of many layer of bone and then details picked out in skull white to give it a worn and dirty look.

I actually feel pretty good in how the rust effects came out with the ruined primer layer. Of course the real goal is to not use a dirty tip (in more ways in one mind you ;)).

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

New units finished in June (late getting around to posting these)

Air Attack Company Commander and staff (company medic, commisar, and vox officier aka Red Shirt with Cyclops demo vehicle)

Grunts

More grunts

Group shot - say cheese

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Macharius 1st Super Heavy Company complete (or enough to move on - there's always more to do :))
Group shot->

Now I feel like going and getting CRASS if you know what I mean.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Liking that paint scheme, nice.

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Very Nice !!! Is that Cyclops from Spartan Games ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah British terrier light tanks. They're fantastic little minis.
http://spartangames.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=62_63&product_id=292

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Excellent work Jimmy
how did you paint that white?
it looks perfect
also the rust is looking very well

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's a case of less is more technique I used this time. I really wanted a warm and dusty look so I completely stayed away from anything black or grey:

start with a nice basecoat of Bone White (GW Bleached Bone or equivalent will work just as well). I'd suggest super thinned out layers until it's smooth and even for best results. Some pieces I used Army Painter primer, others were done by hand. Regardless, that stuff is magic in my opinion. :D

Liberally but evenly apply a brown wash (in this case I used Devlan Mud but Army Painter Soft Tone would work just as well) on all white areas. Let it dry over night so that the color really locks in.

Highlight with Bone White. I used multiple soft almost not even present amounts of paint to give it that soft blended look. In addition, I kept the dry brush very clean. Once happy, move onto using pure white with teh same technique. Very important to use fresh new clean water and brushes as otherwise I've noticed that the white can look dingy and just not right if you don't.

Really it's simple. Basecoat + wash. Highlight with base coat and then extreme highlights with white.

Glad that you like it. Really simple and quick. It's a completely stupid color arrangement in real life (like honestly, who paints a tank white???) but turns out great looking on the table table.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks Jimmy
I thought about devian mud wash too
really nice results.

What did you use for the rust
I use Woodland scenics burnt umber pigments which work out nice
but yours also look excellent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's just bits and splotches of Beastial Brown in various levels of thinned out washes. Usually quite thin to give a layer that then can be built up with slightly thicker applications closer to the damage. That allows me to pull and blend and manipulate the paint washes into areas as I'd imagine the rust stains would take to. Smaller nicks were just applied with a stippling brush (home made at that). Really low tech non-fancy techniques - No one's going to be signing up to any classes I teach nor is FW going to be beating down my doors to write an article! :D

I find that Bestial brown really has noticeable levels of orange pigment in it that you can achieve different color tones and flows with small differences in water concentration, far more than any other paint I've eve come across. I use a slightly odd technique in where I'll apply drops of the paint to one side of the palate appropriately thinned to normal skim milk consistency and the close but separate some water and in between I can pull paint or water into the middle to get the exact consistency for the rust I want. It's one of those rare magic gems in the citadel line, like Devlan Mud, that make life worth living- HA! I'm afraid that the new line will not have the same properties once I finally run out.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sneak peak of what's on the desk today. I'll be finishing these up and then I believe calling it quits for the thread (likely the forum in toto) for a while for obvious reasons.

4th Super Heavy Transport Company - Squadron Leader

Image captured shortly after breaking through the defensive lines around Magna Vertis to deliver Storm trooper assault elements of the T'tenba Tacticus Century, 965th Merkava Armored Regiment to capture the governor's mansion. Here as the lead transport in the assault, it has proceeded up the Verdian Viaduct towards the Target. Shortly after this pic was taken the Crassus was destroyed by enemy tank hunter squadrons after delivering its troops.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looks awsome
also a superb model

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:21 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I really like the painting scheme you have chosen. Also the weathering is done nicely, quite heavy but not overdone. Some chipping could also be done? Is that transport from EW?

Blogging about 6-15mm wargaming: http://www.lead-space.net

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks L-S. Yeah this lead super heavy needs something more to make it pop. I thought about more nicks and damage but at this scale I am thinking it'd start to look muttled. I am leaning towards busting out the 2mm masking tape and put some designs and insignia on the top plates (see my Wear and Tear photos for what I mean). I have a whole set of these guys that when lined up are trying to tell a story. The lead tank has crossed the defenses and entered the city, the next is just breaching a trench line on the edge of the city, and the last is just crashing through the the tank traps and razor wire in front of the trench line. I really need to get off my duff and take some pics and get back on the painting but got a list to drive forward and a new sekrets project in the works I need to focus on before I enlist volunteers. :D

As to the models: They're from a friend of mine and sadly totally out of production now (I may or may not actually be the only person with them in fact). They are fantastic little models. I'd leverage the Guild Gaia Heavy Transport from EW for an acceptable super heavy in that general style (just sans dozer blade). I hear from Tom that they are working on a variation to make it open topped as well. I plan on getting some (once my mountain of lead is cleared out some) as Gorgon proxies.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well ToEG 2012 is pretty much at an end. Glad to say I was able to at least finish one more INF formation (albeit without transport) and finish basing some of the above items.

Here I went for some heavy infantry outfitted to the hilt with heavy stubbers and plenty of tread-fethers! >:D Sargents are outfitted in their traditional blue berets.
The figures are Exodus Wars Guild Centuria

You can see in the center my commander with his Ad Mech bodyguard colossus gifted in appreciation for his service to the Emperor.

Geeked out a bit too much on the robot and put hazard stripes all over him. They're so small you'll never notice at table top range but I know they're there so it makes me happy nevertheless :) One of the close ups of them going around his whack-a-mole ->

I'm no Vaaish but still pretty proud of that one in the end.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

Last edited by jimmyzimms on Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next