Login |  Register |  FAQ

TOEG12 - Carlisimo's Blood Angels

Post subject: TOEG12 - Carlisimo's Blood Angels
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

After a couple of false starts in the 6mm world, here I go! I'm starting with Blood Angels, though I'll be using the vanilla Adeptus Astartes list until I get some chapter-specific units assembled and painted.

I had already started a stand, but after finding out that TOEG would start in April I stopped. I'm not happy with the red. It does look more highlighted in real life than in this mediocre photo (I'll do better next time), but it still looks very flat. I've always had trouble with red... but I've always liked the Blood Angels.

Meanwhile I've been practicing on leftover figures, like this Terminator Librarian and a fuzzy plastic Terminator I got on eBay. They came fuzzy, and I didn't manage to smooth them out. I have higher quality Terminators on the way, though. Unfortunately, the Librarian took me more time than I can dedicate to normal troops, even if I figure out how to highlight red.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: TOEG12 - Carlisimo's Blood Angels
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

thats a crazy amount of highlighting on a 6 mm model.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

While waiting for April to arrive, my mind wandered off and painted a couple of Eldar Falcons. I was trying to decide between Biel-Tan or Mymeara color schemes... I've been leaning towards the latter for a while, but I've always remembered a 1997 article about Epic 40k Eldar that featured those thorny green-over-white colors. I had to give it a shot. Uh oh... I like it more than I thought I would.

But my wife's strongly pushing the blue, and I still like it too. More highlighting, for one thing. Maybe more turquoise. And I think that color would work better with splashes of other colors, whereas Biel-Tan's green is more limiting. I was thinking of using yellows or reds to identify different squadrons. And I love Forgeworld's Phantom Titan in those colors.

Maybe I'll use the green on Ork vehicles in the future. Would that even work? Hardly anyone does green Orks (besides the skin). But it'd be an excuse to paint up a speedster like the Renown Mazda 787b.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

they both look good and have there own points of interest, the green is very classic and the deep green you have going on there is nice, thlue equally looks great but i feel like its doesnt stand alone aswell as the green and need some sort of aditional work, maybe some patterning or secondary colour splash ?

just my thoughts

Tim NZ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think the blue has the potential to look really good accross the whole army, the green looks good though.

As for highlighting red, I could be wrong but it looks like you're mixing in white to highlight, have you tried using orange or bone?

I always say this but with all the little details like helmet colouring, Blood Angels have the potential to be some of the nicest looking marine armies at this scale, looking forward to seeing more!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:41 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Like both of the Eldar colour schems. I had a look at pictures of painted Mymeara figures but I was nt sure I could get the shading/blending on the highlights. Yours has come out great. A whole army painted to that standard will be stunning and distinctive on battlefield. I like the Biel-Tan green too but the Mymeara is my favourite.

I won't be able to start TOEG for a couple of months whilst i finish off my Orks and IG. But when I do I am also doing Blood Angels, again using the Codex Astartes army list. So I look forward to seeing how you get on- will definitely be following this thread with interest.

Thanks

James

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The librarian looks awsome
the face is brilliant very nice
Those Eldar test shemes are also promising

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Carlisimo, have you tried using a brown (or a bit of brown in your red wash) to shade the red? The red wash looks a bit lost - sort reduces the definition in the minis.

Just my 2 cents anyway :) Good job so far.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dobbsy wrote:
Carlisimo, have you tried using a brown (or a bit of brown in your red wash) to shade the red? The red wash looks a bit lost - sort reduces the definition in the minis.

That worked better than the red wash, thanks. I also found someone's recommendation about using Thraka Green. I was worried I'd get Christmas, but it works very well!

When is the right time to use red wash, I wonder?

Anyway, no progress since we're not supposed to start yet, and I've been busy planting expensive plants for the gophers to eat anyway (redoing our front yard - the grass is long gone and replaced by mulch, which we have to fill in for aesthetics' sake). So here's a fuzzy picture of my wife and our rabbit. She (the bunny) is more Monty Python and the Holy Grail than cuddly lap bunny. She grunts, lunges with bared teeth, bites, thumps for attention... it's actually pretty exciting! OK, no more off-topic photos until some Blood Angels get posted!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:31 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

BUNNY!

I've always wanted a house rabbit, but the three cats might disagree. The snake and Guinea Pig would be okay with it though, so if it came to a vote I'd have a chance. :)

Ghost's Paint Blog, where everything goes that isn't something else.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dunno, I've heard about a lot of people with cats and rabbits, and no problems. Dogs don't work because a lot of them have been bred to hunt rabbits, but cats only go after bunnies much smaller than them. If anything, the rabbit might harass the cat(s) because rabbits are social and spend a lot of time figuring out where they stand in the hierarchy.

We considered getting a second bunny to keep ours company. The rescue volunteers put our rabbit and another one in a pen to see if they got along, and ours immediately jumped on the other bunny, and started humping him while biting the back of his neck! When we pulled her off she had his fur in her mouth. All of these rabbits are rescued, so they're all fixed... that's just how they show who's boss. It's happened three times so far, and one was twice her size.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Alright, I'm behind schedule. Unexpected plumbing failure in our laundry room, so been busy with that. But I mostly finished that tactical detachment; it just needs basing. I'm getting the material for that later today. Anyway, here are Squads 4, 5, and 6 from Company 2. Maybe it's a bit weird for squad 5 to be carrying the company banner, but squad 1 will have the chapter banner.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Love that flag, well done on everything!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well done, I like the chapter badges must be tricky at this scale

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Really nice clean crisp painting with wonderful detail. Not too '90's red school' bright and not too dulled down with washes, looks great.