Login |  Register |  FAQ

Aethon Company – Pre-Heresy Ultramarines

Post subject: Aethon Company – Pre-Heresy Ultramarines
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Aethon Company – 19th Company Ultramarines
Quote:
A mere hundred warriors stood opposed to one hundred thousand. Facing an ocean of grey armour, a single company of Ultramarines had made planetfall with their Primarch. Even in the gravity of the moment, Argel Tal wasn’t sure whether to be mystified at this display, or insulted by it. He settled for both, his irritation rising all the while.

‘The 19th Company,’ Xaphen voxed, watching the Ultramarines banner waving in the gentle wind. It depicted a rearing white horse with a mane of fire, over a series of numerals.

‘Intriguing.’ Argel Tal watched the white horse rippling in the wind, trying to discern some significance in the 19th’s presence. The creature seemed in motion, the flames of its mane real and burning.

Aethon Company, the Ultramarines 19th, was well-known to many outside Guilliman’s Legion. Aethon himself commanded an entire Imperial Expedition away from his primarch, and was rumoured to be a stern ambassador and a shrewd diplomat. Whatever the truth, the captain was trusted with a great deal more responsibility and independence than most other Astartes could ever claim.

Aaron Dembski Bowden; The First Heretic

Roboute Guilliman and elements of Aethon Company.

I thought I'd post up some pictures of my Epic army project. Unsurprisingly, it's Ultramarines! :)

Part of the appeal of the Epic: Armageddon game for me is the sheer scale of the ground. Units can move around, outflank, enfilade, drop-pod and generally act like the background of the game implies they should. There's space to breathe on the battlefield.

The other part of the appeal is the size of the armies you can field. A formation represents a 1000–1500pt size 40k army, and you're regularly pushing around ten or so formations in an Epic army. Titans, aircraft, tank companies and hordes of infantry all combine to make a fantastic spectacle. :)

+++

Last edited by Apologist on Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Aethon Company – Pre-Heresy Ultramarines
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Predator formation

Predator Destructor formations are solid generalist additions to a Space Marine army in the current iteration of the NetEA rules, where they've received a slight boost to their firefight score. With a mix of weaponry erring towards an anti-infantry focus, they're able to lend supporting fire to other Space Marine formations.

Their speed means that they work well supporting formations mounted in Rhinos, but they can also follow up faster formations such as Speeders or Bikes, where they can add some muscle to the attack.

At 275pts – and dropping to 225 with the NetEA amendments – for a formation of four, I tend to run them without upgrades to keep them cheap: making them a less inviting target for the enemy. Even a single casualty can drop the damage output of the formation significantly, so I find it best to hold them back and use them for outflanking and support.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Whirlwind formation

Whirlwind artillery tanks are some of my favourite formations in Epic. While their stats look unimpressive on paper, their multi-missile launchers let them fire indirect barrages. This enables them to shoot at anything within range; and their combination of rules (indirect fire and barrage) means that when they go on sustained orders, their range is doubled to 90cm, and they don't need to draw line of sight to the target.

Best of all, units firing an indirect barrage receive a +1 modifier for taking a sustained fire action (rule 2.2.6), so a full strength (four-strong) Whirlwind battery is placing two templates, and any models underneath are hit on a 3+ (infantry) or 4+ (armour). This can add up to a huge amount of damage and blast markers, particularly on a clustered opponent. If your opponent then spreads his units out to avoid the barrages, you can pounce on an isolated flank with your fast support units in an engagement.

This all combines to make Whirlwinds a great support formation. Because they are fairly fragile and vulnerable to air attack, and because their rules allow them to support from distance, they are a good choice to place deep in your deployment zone, with range to your Blitz objective. I generally add a Hunter to the formation – this provides them with extra bulk in case of casualties, an additional long-range shot if you're forced to use them directly, and provides air cover: enemy aircraft love strafing artillery.

They're not the most glorious unit, but they're reliable, fairly cheap, and allow you to strike at your enemy from the very beginning of the game. They make a good way to soften up enemy 'Blitz guards' – i.e. any formation that the enemy has left near his Blitz objective – ready for your other formations to strike.

Note that Barrage templates must be placed to cover the maximum amount of models in the target formation, but since they're quite large, they can sometimes affect more than one formation. Don't rely on such a tactic, but it's a great way of punishing intermingled formations.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Aethon Company
A heavily upgraded Tactical formation made up of six Tactical stands (one of which includes Second Captain Nehemiah), three Rhino APCs (two Mars pattern, one Macragge pattern), one Hyperios 'Hunter' Anti-Air vehicle, two Mars Alpha pattern Vindicators and Ancient Titus, a Mk V Dreadnought.

Not only do Captain provide improved morale (formations including a Space Marine Leader unit remove two blast markers rather than one on a successful rally), they also provide an extra attack, and benefit from the Commander ability, which enables them to draw in support from neighbouring formations. Very handy for launching an engagement!

Dreadnoughts don't seem to get much love from the Epic: Armageddon community. They can slow down formations, and due to being an armoured vehicle, provide more targets for AT fire. However, they're iconic Astartes units, and it's hard to argue with the additional macro-weapon attack of the powerfist, or the heavy firepower of the Hellfire dreadnought (as pictured).
Personally, I've found that used in large amounts in defensive formations, they provide good all-round flexibility for formations, and their MW attacks in engagements make them useful for deterring all but the most determined assaults.

Tactical Marines are the most flexible of all Astartes, and go into battle with a variety of equipment and armament. In Epic, this is abstracted to small arms and a single missile launcher shot per squad.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You look to be off to a good start ! And I like the darker blue you opted for.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looking good mate, lovely work.

Cheers
Aaron

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think these are better painted then my 40k models.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Fantastic work!

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Very nice darker blue ... mine are the same ... good work !! ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

madd0ct0r wrote:
I think these are better painted then my 40k models.

I think that is the Understatement of the week...

Awesome Job! I do love Forumware!

The first pic? Are those Normal 6mm next to a regular 30mm SM?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I would think this is a 10mm miniature.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I would bet it's a Marine from the Horus Heresy boxed set. I've been wrong before, but it feels right.

Night Lords 0.1
My Trade Thread

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:51 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Simulated Knave wrote:
I would bet it's a Marine from the Horus Heresy boxed set. I've been wrong before, but it feels right.

It has evident CAD striations, so I doubt it is from there ;)

Really like the colour of blue used.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Since I didn't mention it - these are very nice, BTW. :)

Night Lords 0.1
My Trade Thread

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Apocolocyntosis wrote:
Simulated Knave wrote:

It has evident CAD striations, so I doubt it is from there ;)

Really like the colour of blue used.

Looks Like one it came from the same source as the others but at 10 or 15mm, I know he did mess about with 15mm for a while. Check out the marine furthest left in the same photo, the pose looks very similar and the way the helmet is shaped is almost exactly the same.